Hello, flist! I've been absent for awhile working on an original fic. To that end, I have a strange and specific beta request.
Is there anyone reading this who has any experience with Army Cadets, JROTC, ROTC, or any form of U.S. Army education/training? And wouldyou/that person be able and interested to read a YA story for fact checking?
More details upon request!
Please let me know at zelempa at gmail!
I don't know how to interpret that.
If you haven't seen me mention it before, Kiva's a website where you can make microloans of $25 apiece to farmers, crafters, shopkeepers, and other small business owners in developing nations to give them a leg up out of poverty. I use it constantly. I am not employed by nor paid by them in any way. :) Unlike regular loans, you don't earn interest on the loans you give out. But unlike a charity donation, you get the money back. I love getting my loans paid back and using them to fund more and more loans!
There's also a fandom lending team if you want your loan to count toward making fandom look generous and great.
There are some new reviews in here, and the reviews of the first four books have been redone. Enjoy!
The Key to All Baby-Sitterologies: A Vast Work of Meticulous Research
- Make a post (public, friends locked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
- If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
- Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ, or link to this post (it'll be public) so that the holiday joy will spread.
- Surf around your friendslist (or friends friends, or just random journals, or holiday_wishes/wishlist) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
- If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
( My List )
Cover art for la_petite_singe's awesome Erik/Charles Summer Fic Exchange story, The Eldest of the Gods. It's a 1920s Eton College AU; the guys are 18-ish (and Erik is ginger!) I showed the sketch to my girlfriend who doesn't know XMFC and she said, "It looks like Brideshead Revisted." I was like, "EXACTLY." I hope that comes across for you, too! India ink on bristol.
ETA: If my webhost is being wonky, you can view this at my tumblr.
I'm signed up an artist, and those sign-ups are still open if you're interested! Popular fandoms among the writers signed up seem to be Supernatural, DW/TW, Inception, Merlin, with strong representation from SGA, Sherlock, and XMFC, as well as several smaller fandoms. Top Gear slash is apparently a thing. piscaria is signed up to write Byron/Jeff, but you can't have that one because THAT IS MINE.
Artist Sign Up @ journeystory
My first-ever challenge was McShep Match 2007 (the first-ever McShep Match!), so it feels like my five*-year anniversary of fandom.
*Edited because I can't do math.
Yesterday was fun-filled and whimsical; today is dark and creepy. NSFW, but not much more so than is obvious from the thumbnail.
The toughest part about this was trying to get the body positions anywhere near plausible, since I don't exactly have relevant references. I even tried taking pictures of myself doing the positions (NOT SHOWN), but as I look nothing like the guys and it's more about the interaction than the individual poses, it didn't really help. I need a couple of semi-slender, semi-muscular guys who are willing to pose together in any homoerotic position I wish. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK.